Every dictionary and grammar written in Burma in the last two centuries has been based on ones originally created by Judson. Judson “became a symbol of the preeminence of Bible translation for” Protestant missionaries.
Who brought Christianity to Myanmar?
In 1960 an attempt was made to make Buddhism the state religion. This was met with much resistance from minority groups. Christianity was brought to Myanmar by missionaries from England and France in the 17th century. It was not until the 19th century however, that large numbers of converts were made in the country.
Who were the first missionaries?
Early Christian missionaries
- Alopen – first missionary to China (Nestorian)
- Augustine of Canterbury – missionary to England.
- Saint Barnabas.
- Saint Boniface – influential in the conversion of German peoples.
- Columba – early missionary to Scotland.
- David of Basra – early missionary to India.
What were Adoniram Judson’s two main accomplishments?
He opened his first preaching place in 1819, and baptized Maung Naw, his first Burman convert. He also began the work of translating the Bible into Burmese. Over the next few years he founded a church and established schools.
What religions are in Myanmar?
Religion in Myanmar
- Buddhism. As much as 90% of the Burmese population practice Buddhism, making it the main religion in Myanmar. …
- Christianity. Christianity is the second largest religion in Myanmar, making up around 8% of the population. …
- Islam. After Christianity, the third-largest religion in Myanmar is Islam.
Does Myanmar have religious freedom?
The Constitution of Myanmar
It articulates that every citizen is equally entitled to freedom of conscience and the right to freely profess and practice religion subject to public order, morality, or health and other Constitutional provisions (Section 34).