What are the elements of zarzuela?
Zarzuela originated in Spain in the 17th century but reached its definitive form in the 19th century as a mixture of instrumental music, singing, dancing and the spoken word that encompassed the rhythms and traditions of the diverse cultures of Spain.
What is Zarzuela in Philippine theater?
Zarzuela (Spanish pronunciation: [θaɾˈθwela]) is a Spanish lyric-dramatic genre that alternates between spoken and sung scenes, the latter incorporating operatic and popular songs, as well as dance. … There is also a strong tradition in the Philippines where it is also known as sarswela/sarsuela.
What is the most famous zarzuela in the Philippines?
Although Walang Sugat or walang batas sa sugat is one of the major and more popular zarzuelas in the Philippines, it was one of the plays considered “too subversive” by the American colonial authorities, and its author Reyes was imprisoned.
Who are the famous Philippine zarzuela composers?
List of zarzuela composers
- Pedro Acerden (Philippines)
- Daniel Alomía Robles January 3, 1871 (Huánuco) – 18 June 1942 (Lima)
- Francisco Alonso May 9, 1887 (Granada) – May 19, 1948 (Madrid)
- Emilio Arrieta October 21, 1823 (Puente la Reina) – February 11, 1894 (Madrid)
What are the different theatrical forms in the Philippines?
- Epic poetry. Epic poetry is considered the highest point of Filipino folk literature, and dates back to the pre-colonial period. …
- Duplo. The duplo is a poetic debate presented through song and dance, which originated from indigenous courtship customs. …
- Moro-moro. …
- Senakulo. …
- Traditional Folk Dance. …
- Bodabil. …
What makes Sarsuwela unique?
Sarsuwela is a form of theater unique to the Philippines, however, it wasn’t until the Spanish colonization when Spanish performers introduced Zarzuelas to the nation and they quickly made it their own. In addition to having roots in the Spanish genre, Filipinos also drew inspiration from the local sainete.
How is Zarzuela done?
Zarzuela, form of Spanish or Spanish-derived musical theatre in which the dramatic action is carried through an alternating combination of song and speech.
What is the meaning of Sarswela in Tagalog?
sarsuwela. [noun] a type of theatrical play with songs and dance.