+1.5 hours: Beaches in southern Thailand are hit by the tsunami. Among the 5,400 who died were 2,000 foreign tourists.
Why is December 26 2004 a black day for the world?
December 26, 2004 was a Black Day for the world because a tsunami was being unleashed through a gigantic earthquake in the Indian Ocean. … Tsunami means a wave train,or series of waves caused in a sea or ocean by submarine earthquakes. “Tsu” means Harbour and “Nami” means Wave.
What is the biggest tsunami ever?
How many countries did the tsunami hit on December 26 2004?
Eighteen (18) countries around the Indian Ocean sustained damage from the tsunami. The countries affected were Indonesia, Thailand, India, Sri-Lanka, Malaysia, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Maldives, Reunion Island (French), Seychelles, Madagascar, Mauritius, Somalia, Tanzania, Kenya, Oman, South Africa and Australia.
When was the last tsunami in the world?
Tsunami of January 22, 2017 (Bougainville, P.N.G.)
What to do if a tsunami is coming?
IF YOU ARE UNDER A TSUNAMI WARNING:
- First, protect yourself from an Earthquake. …
- Get to high ground as far inland as possible. …
- Be alert to signs of a tsunami, such as a sudden rise or draining of ocean waters.
- Listen to emergency information and alerts.
- Evacuate: DO NOT wait! …
- If you are in a boat, go out to sea.