In discussing Philippine music, three main divisions are apparent: (1) an old Asian influenced music referred to as the indigenous; (2) a religious and secular music influenced by Spanish and European forms; and (3) an American/European inspired classical, semi-classical, and popular music.
What is Philippine indigenous music?
Although Philippine music is an expression of a Southeast Asian indigenous culture that has been superceded by Spanish and later American elements, it has evolved into a unique cultural expression. Today, one roughly delineates traditional, or “indigenous” music from those with various degrees of Western influences.
What are the three kinds of Philippine music?
These three main streams of Philippine music– indigenous, Spanish influenced religious and secular music, American/European influenced classical, semi-classical, and popular music comprise what we refer to today as Philippine music.
What are the examples of indigenous music?
- Music of Africa, especially the non-European, Asian or Arab-derived traditions.
- Maori music of New Zealand.
- Music of the Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders of Australia.
- Music of the indigenous peoples of Latin America and the Caribbean.
What can you say about the indigenous musical instruments in the Philippines?
Philippine Musical Instruments:
- Aerophones. Bulungudyong – vertical flute (Pinatubo Ayta). …
- Chordophones. Bamboo violin – a three-stringed violin of the Aeta people. …
- Tuned gongs. Agung – large gong suspended from an ornate frame. …
- Membranophones. Agung a tamlang – bamboo (slit drum) …
- Idiophones. Kubing – jaw’s harp (Maranao)
What are the functions of indigenous music?
The indigenous music serves as a means of social communication. The conscious and unconscious absorption of older, established elements into modern forms of expression has defined cultural transformation.
How do you describe Philippine music?
The Philippines music are a mix of European, American and native sounds. Influenced by the music of the Philippines 377 year-long heritage of colonial Spain, Western rock and roll, hip-hop and popular music from the United States, the folk music of population Austronesian and Indo-Malayan music Gamelan.
How do you describe Filipino music?
Filipino music tells the story of the Philippines’ always-international history though its melodies, rhythms and choice of instruments. … and other stringed instruments, is another traditional Spanish-Philippine folk style that became popular in the 1960s.
How many types of music are there?
According to the popular music streaming service Spotify, there are over 1,300 music genres in the world. Some of the peculiar ones include Norwegian Hip Hop, Swedish Reggae and Spanish Punk.